Take These Three Steps If Your Ex Does Not Obey the Divorce Verdict

When you take a divorce to court, you have things you want to work in your favor. Some might, and others might not. The court gives its verdict. Sometimes your ex-spouse may fail to follow this verdict and do the exact opposite. In such a situation, you need to go the legal way to enforce them to follow the decree. A decree is a document that the court issues upon its ruling. It contains details that indicate why the marriage was dissolved and what it ruled concerning child custody, property division, and child support. When an ex-spouse does not meet the obligations, you can take action on them. Here is what you should do.

Call a Lawyer

A divorce verdict is final and legal, and everyone involved must uphold it. If you cannot comply, you must address the situation in court. Therefore if your ex-spouse has refused to comply, you need a lawyer to assist you. Check Catherine Haber lawyer reviews to see their experience in helping people solve family issues in court. The lawyer will counsel you on legal matters to make the right decisions. On top of that, they will help you collect the evidence you need to prove your ex-spouse has violated the ruling.

Evaluate the Violation

Before you present the case of violation, you need to know how your ex has violated the verdict. Therefore, go through the document to see what they have not done. For example, your ex may refuse to pay child support. They may also refuse to let you see the kids if you have visitation rights. They may also fail to transfer property as ruled by the judge. Therefore, you need to know these violations to know what you are presenting.

Get Evidence

The court works with evidence and reasoning to make its judgment. Therefore, you need proof that shows your ex has violated the decree. Please work with your lawyer to gather the evidence you can get to prove it. You can show the financial records or your conversation to prove their noncompliance. You need documents proving the violation if you want enforcement to occur. Therefore, your accusations must be backed by adequate documents.

Go to Court

After you have gathered evidence, you can file a motion of contempt. Call the court clerk and present your case. Depending on your presentation, the clerk will determine if you can file the motion. The motion will indicate the parts of the verdict that the ex has desecrated and why they should be held in contempt. If your ex is found guilty, the court will give them some time to honor the decree, and they may face jail time in a serious situation. Remember, state laws are different, and the time it takes to release them from jail may differ. The time spent in jail will not be compensated in case of lost employment or sustained physical disability.


It is important to comply with the divorce decree. If your ex fails to do so, you have the right to take legal action. Get an experienced divorce attorney to help you.

Similar Posts