As a property owner, you might have heard about the importance of asphalt seal coating. The folk at Parking Lot Pros say that proper maintenance of asphalt surfaces is crucial to their longevity, and investing in seal coating can provide significant benefits.
The Basics of Asphalt Seal Coating
Seal coating is a protective layer applied to an asphalt surface that is primarily composed of coal tar, asphalt emulsion, or acrylics. Each material has its unique properties, offering various levels of protection and aesthetic appeal. The application process typically involves cleaning the surface, repairing any existing damage, and then applying the seal coat using specialized equipment.
Benefits of Asphalt Seal Coating
- Extends the lifespan of the asphalt surface: Seal coating can significantly extend the life of your pavement by protecting it from the elements and general wear-and-tear. A well-maintained asphalt surface can last up to 30 years; one without seal coating may require replacement in as little as 15 years.
- Improves appearance and curb appeal: A fresh seal coat can give your asphalt a rich, black appearance, making it look new again. This visual improvement can boost the overall aesthetics of your property and increase its value.
- Protects against UV rays, water, and chemical damage: Seal coating acts as a barrier against harmful elements, preventing them from penetrating the asphalt and causing deterioration. By keeping these elements at bay, you preserve the structural integrity of your pavement.
- Enhances safety with increased skid resistance: The texture of the seal coat can improve traction, reducing the risk of accidents. This is especially beneficial in areas with heavy traffic or during inclement weather.
- Reduces long-term repair and maintenance costs: Seal coating means you can avoid costly repairs down the road. Sealed asphalt surfaces require fewer repairs and replacements, saving money in the long run.
Seal Coating vs. Repaving
When comparing the costs of seal coating and repaving, the former is significantly more cost-effective. While repaving an asphalt surface can cost anywhere between $3 and $7 per square foot, seal coating typically ranges from $0.15 to $0.40 per square foot. Regularly investing in seal coating means you can prevent the need for expensive repaving projects and save thousands of dollars over time.
Choosing the Right Seal Coating Contractor
Selecting an experienced and reliable contractor is essential for a successful seal coating project. Here are a few tips for finding the right provider:
- Research and referrals: Start by searching for local contractors online and asking friends or neighbors for recommendations. Look for contractors with positive reviews and a solid reputation.
- Verify licenses and insurance: Make sure the contractor you choose is licensed and insured. This protects you from potential liabilities and ensures that they adhere to industry standards.
- Request quotes and references: Obtain quotes from multiple contractors and ask for references. Contact these references to learn about their experiences with the contractor and the quality of their work.
Asphalt Seal Coating Best Practices
For the best results, it’s essential to follow these seal coating best practices:
- Ideal conditions: Apply seal coating when the temperature is above 50°Fand there is no rain in the forecast for at least 24 hours. This ensures proper curing and adhesion of the seal coat.
- Frequency of application: It is recommended to apply a new seal coat every 3-5 years, depending on the traffic and environmental conditions your asphalt surface endures.
- Maintenance tips: Keep your asphalt surface clean and free of debris to maintain the integrity of the seal coat. Address any cracks or potholes as soon as these appear to prevent further damage.
To conclude, investing in asphalt seal coating is a wise decision that yields substantial returns.