There are many indoor air allergens. However, below are the top five most common ones.
House dust is the most common indoor allergen. It consists of a mix of substances, such as soil particles and pollen. It can also include hair, bacteria, and dead skin cells. Dust can be found in various areas of a property, including floors, furniture, beds, and any other kind of surface.
Dust can easily spread through the air via the HVAC system. In fact, dust can accumulate within the ducts and once the system is turned on, the dust can be released into the air. Also, dust that is located in other areas besides the ducts can become disturbed and airborne.
A few ways to mitigate the presence of house dust is to remove all clutter from the floors, as well as changing the bedding at least once per week. Closet spaces should be kept as cleaned as possible, and any carpeting/rugs should be vacuumed on a regular basis. Finally, dusting a few times per week can make all the difference in the world.
Mold spores can cause various allergic reactions. People who inhale the spores often experience symptoms of hay fever and/or asthma. Mold tends to grow on damped or wet surfaces, which is why basements, bathrooms, and attics are common places where it grows.
The most common spots where mold growth thrives include damped cellars, house foundations, showers, and rooms that have no ventilation or that have been sealed off.
Depending on the type of mold, a commercial mold removal spray can be used to get rid of it. However, there are instances that require the root of the problem to be taken care of. For example, if there is mold growth on the bathroom’s walls, then there could be a leaky pipe in the area. The pipe would need to be repaired in order for the mold to be completely removed.
Dust mites resemble tiny spiders, and they measure around 1/3 mm in length. People cannot see them because they’re microscopic. Dust mites live indoors, and getting rid of them isn’t that easy. In fact, dusting, sweeping, and vacuuming do not completely eliminate them.
The mites attach themselves to fibers, which is why they’re commonly found within mattresses and carpeting. Dust mites are also found within the upholstery. Although dust mites don’t live on people, bite, or can spread diseases, they can cause people to experience mild to severe allergic reactions.
A good way to get rid of dust mites is to use hot water and soap to wash fabrics they are suspected of living within. Items can either be washed by hand or in a washer machine. An alternative way is to use a spray that’s designed to reduce or eliminate dust mites.
Pet Dander & Hair
Pet dander can cause people to have allergic reactions, such as sneezing, itchiness, and difficulty breathing to name a few. Whether it’s a dog, cat, bird, or any other animal, their hair and dander can get all over the place. Just like mold and dust, pet dander can buildup within the duct system, where it can become airborne when the HVAC system is in use.
Getting rid of pet dander and pet hair isn’t that difficult. Simply grooming the pet regularly can greatly reduce the amount of hair they shed, as well as the dander they produce. A high-quality air filter is another way to eliminate pet dander. Basic cleaning, such as vacuuming and dusting are effective methods too.
When people think of pollen, they think of the outdoors. However, pollen is one of the most common indoor airborne allergens. Pollen can accumulate indoors in a number of ways, such as if there are house plants present in any of the rooms. People can bring pollen in from the outdoors because it can easily get onto the hair and skin after a person has been outside. The most effective way to get pollen under control is via vacuuming on a daily basis, as well as wiping down surfaces.Those are the top five common indoor air allergens and how they can be mitigated in order to reduce their presence in the home. Of course, it never hurts to have the best HEPA air purifier to help you breathe easier.